Monday, April 30, 2007

Spy photos from the workshop

We had another productive day at the workshop yesterday. AP came by and worked on the design for the rear of the carriage. He got crazy with the polyurethane glue. The dowels were salvaged from the dump. The end result is quite an interesting detail. We all agreed it looks like a pipe organ.I worked on the design for the new front end. Since the new rear used up both halves of the coffee table I had to look elsewhere for inspiration. And I found it in the form of a broken pedestal fan I had in the garage. (hoarding 1, minimalism 0) Using smaller steel that I scavenged from some salvaged fencing I set to work. I created the curves with a conduit bender and a lot of trial and error. I was making things up as I went along. I plan to take all of my ideas and put them into a model tonight to try and figure out the whole front design. I imagine a curving, almost bullet shaped front. We'll see.
Here's a shot of the work from the front. It shows the fan blades that I'd like to use. The idea is to put the blade back in it's normal place, line the grill with fabric and then light the slow-moving blade from behind. Should be a neat effect at night.

3 comments:

Todd Berman said...

schweet.

Xander said...

What is more difficult to see is the careful filagree detail with the glue, running down the dowels that will make up the rear of the vehicle. Absolutely magnificent. Couldn't have done it without Jon's fearless leadership and dedicated guidance.

Mr. Alchemystic said...

that is some sweety sweetness. nice job fellas. lookin' grand.